Facebook strains under pressurePosted: September 8, 2009 | |
You may have noticed over the past few days that Facebook has been lagging and ‘doing silly things’.
This is not as many people think due to a virus in the Fan Check App. It is due to the massive increase in growth and usage it has seen over the last 6 months.
Facebook now has over 250 million users worldwide with more than 120 million of them logging in more than once a day to update photos, status, play farm town, farm ville and add stupid apps like Fan Check. All of this adds to its user performance and its ability to scale as growth exceeds expectations.
Other high traffic sites have also seen this issue this year such as Twitter and Gmail, crashing often under the strain of usage. This is made harder when usage spikes due to world events. On the evening Michael Jackson died, most of the worlds Internet population were online searching for news, sending mail and updating status’s, the Internet slowed to an almost halt and buckled under the pressure.
So as more and more people get online, computers and net connections get faster – we ‘the users’ just have to get used to sites running slow and mis-behaving.
Here are some more useful stats into Facebook and its users
- More than 250 million active users
- More than 120 million users log on to Facebook at least once each day
- More than two-thirds of Facebook users are outside of college
- The fastest growing demographic is those 35 years old and older
- Average user has 120 friends on the site
- More than 5 billion minutes are spent on Facebook each day (worldwide)
- More than 30 million users update their statuses at least once each day
- More than 8 million users become fans of Pages each day
- More than 1 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
- More than 10 million videos uploaded each month
- More than 1 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) shared each week
- More than 2.5 million events created each month
- More than 45 million active user groups exist on the site
- More than 50 translations available on the site, with more than 40 in development
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
- More than one million developers and entrepreneurs from more than 180 countries
- Every month, more than 70% of Facebook users engage with Platform applications
- More than 350,000 active applications currently on Facebook Platform
- More than 200 applications have more than one million monthly active users
- More than 15,000 websites, devices and applications have implemented Facebook Connect since its general availability in December 2008
- There are more than 65 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are almost 50% more active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- There are more than 180 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products